MUSIC COMPETITION: "IN THE NAME OF SALT"
Salt has an incredible history: it has
added extra flavor to language, religion and international trade
through the centuries. For the past twenty years, Italian artist
Bettina Werner, American by adoption, has built her international
career working with crystals of salt, creating paintings, sculptures
and installations, and now this elemental gift from our beloved
oceans will become the liaison between visual art and music. To
commemorate her twenty-year anniversary, Werner, the founder of
The Salt Queen Foundation based in New York, is celebrating with
a music competition.
In ancient times the muses, the goddesses who inspired
poetry and song, were invoked at the beginning of an epic poem or
classical story to grant inspiration to the artist. In the same
way, Bettina Werner will unite music with visual art in the Salt
Queen Foundation's song competition "In the Name of Salt",
a unique artistic collaboration in which the songwriter/composer
will create a song inspired by salt, which in turn will be the inspiration
for a salt painting by Werner. This work will be the physical manifestation,
through color and texture, of both salty muses. In her paintings, created with a textured colorized
salt technique, the salt, the muse of artist Bettina Werner, becomes
music on canvas, a path through the eyes to the heart, and fills
the soul with color. She explains the motivation behind this extraordinary
I BELIEVE music acts as a shield, surrounding us with protective energy, since it bathes you in shimmering light that deflects away negativity...just as salt does! There is a connection between painting and music. When I'm painting in the studio, I listen to music and sense the waves of colors emanating with the vibrations, and I believe these waves can be felt by sensitive people. The colors on the canvas are related to the colors in the music, and I think it would be amazing to work listening to music that is inspired by salt."
- Bettina Werner
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
The Salt Queen Foundation organizes "IN
THE NAME OF SALT", a music contest.
1) All songs should be inspired by the essential element of life: SALT. Submissions must be original compositions, approximately 4 minutes long. Entries must be submitted in audio CD format (with a short biography, no longer than 15-20 lines, as well as contact information: address, e-mail, telephone numbers, etc.) and mailed no later then September 5th 2006 to LifeGate Radio in Italy at:
2) Winner will be determined by the end of December. The winner and finalists will be listed online at thesaltqueenfoundation.org and LifeGate.it
After numerous extension requests from contestant all over the world, and a personal plea from our distinguished judge John Altman, we are extending the deadline of the contest to Saturday, October 7
The winner will be announced on the web site in December.
LifeGate Radio spa
Via Manzoni 1822046
Merone Como Italia
3) This competition is open to all amateur as well as professional songwriters and anyone regardless of nationality or origin. Entries will not be returned.
4) A Grand Prize Winner and 24 finalists will be chosen by an international jury comprised of distinguished professionals within a variety of fields.
GRAND PRIZE WINNER AND FINALISTS:
6) THE WINNER: the Grand Prize winner will receive a salt painting (value $10,000) by Bettina Werner created while listening to the music of the
winner as well as a cash prize of $5,000. LifeGate Radio will host a 40 minute special radio program in which the prize winning composition will be played along with the music of the 6 finalists. The grand prize winner will be interviewed by the host of the radio show along with Bettina Werner. The Radio show will take place two weeks following the grand prize ceremony (date to be determined via website).
Winner must attend the by-invitation-only Award Ceremony that will be held in Manhattan on March 31st 2007.
THE FINALISTS: 24 finalists will be chosen by the internationally prominent jury members. They will receive maximum exposure as the songs will be played on the website of The Salt Queen Foundation as well as ambient music at Bettina Werner worldwide exhibitions and events.
7) Songs will be judged
equally based on originality, lyrics, melody and composition. Songs may
be in any language. Prizes will be awarded jointly to all songwriters of any song. Division of prizes is the responsibility of the winners.
8) The winning songwriter(s) release The Salt Queen Foundation
from all liability regarding prizes won. Taxes are winner(s') responsibility.
The Salt Queen Foundation will retain full rights to all work submitted
for the competition.
9) The winner(s) will be notified by mail and must sign and return an affidavit confirming that the song is original and he/she/they hold rights to the song. Failure to sign and return the form within 10 days will result in immediate disqualification and an alternative winner will be selected.
10) The Salt Queen Foundation reserves the rights to extend the dates of the contest as needed.
11)The Salt Queen Foundation is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit educational institution. Each participant agrees to donate his/her/their composition to the Foundation for cultural and educational purposes ( website content etc.). Entry constitutes permission to use winner(s) names, likeness and voices for future publicity and advertising purposes without additional compensation.
12) To participate, each entrant agrees to these guidelines: All notices to the entrants, including any changes, to be communicated via website.
The Salt Queen Foundation
The Salt Queen Foundation would like to thank Fmagazine and LifeGate Radio for their generous support in making the first "In the name of Salt" music competition possible.
To Tibino, my power animal who guided me on each step of this project like a wave of energetic force...
showing me that the love bond we shared is like a leash that keeps him eternally by my side. Even after death.